Posted: 3/7/2011Part Time Information Services Associate - Adult
Applications are now being received for the following position at Markham Public Library.
Part Time Information Services Associate-Adult
Job Type: Union Part-time
Hour: 17.5 hours per week on average
Number of opening: 1
Salary: $22.84 - $25.66 per hour
Post Date: April 15, 2011
Closing Date: April 23, 2011 by 4:30 p.m.
Applications are now being received for the above position in the Information Department with the Markham Public Library. This position is currently located at Angus Glen Library. (Note: Work location is subject to change.)
Reporting to the Branch Librarian, the Information Services Assistant- Adult provides proactive information services to customers. Provides instruction to Library customers in the use of the Library catalogue, the Internet and other electronic resources to enhance access. Promotes the print, audio-visual and electronic collections. Assists in collection maintenance and development. Assists in promoting, administering, implementing and evaluating programs. Promotes community liaison and partnerships.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides proactive customer service, information services, readers advisory and information literacy instruction to library customers using both print and electronic resources.
2. Assists with promoting, implementing, administering and evaluating adult programs.
3. Conducts departmental programs as required.
4. Assists with outreach opportunities and liaises with community organizations.
5. Provides services to special needs individuals and groups.
6. Promotes the library's collections and services through displays, pathfinders, book lists and other means as appropriate.
7. Assists with collection maintenance and development. Recommends materials for selection and de-selection, repair or withdrawal. Performs withdrawal procedures and provides input on branch gap lists. Processes system and inter-library loan requests.
8. Assists in other departments of the branch as required.
9. As delegated, assumes responsibility for the Department in the absence of more senior staff.
10. Performs other duties as required.
1. Library Technician diploma from a recognized college of applied arts and minimum of 1 year related library experience.
2. Demonstrated experience in conducting programs.
3. Excellent proactive customer service skills.
4. Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
5. Computer skills including MS Word, Excel, Outlook, IE and electronic databases.
6. Experience with Library automated systems an asset.
7. Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team.
8. Some specialized subject area knowledge preferred
Please note that Markham Public Library is open 7 days per week, and regular weekend work is required. Employees hired after December 20, 2004 have a work week that extends from Monday to Sundays
All interested candidates are asked to submit a resume and covering letter indicating how they meet the qualifications of the position to:
Fax# (905) 471-6015
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.